Sun, 24 Sept|
Pick up some new skills or refresh your old ones for the upcoming canyoning season.
Time & Location
24 Sept 2023, 9:00 am – 25 Sept 2023, 4:00 pm
Blackmans Bay, 59 Blowhole Rd, Blackmans Bay TAS 7052, Australia
About the trip
Time to get your canyon on. The water temperatures are finally on their long uphill slog out of winter, the days are getting longer and levels in the slot are dropping from the terrifying levels of three La Niñas in a row.
This will be a beginner friendly introduction to abseiling for anyone knew to canyoning, and a chance for those with more experience to refresh their abseiling and/or rigging skills. We'll choose a promising looking abseiling spot (probably the Blackmans Bay blowhole, but still waiting on confirmation of availability to lock that in).
Meet at the chosen crag at 9am then stay there for a few hours until we're all feeling totes pro about ourselves. You can leave early if you have other commitments, but I would prefer to have everyone there for a quick safety briefing at the start. I encourage people to car pool (or bus, it's pretty close to the main Blackmans Bay bus route) but I won't be organising carpooling as some people may end up leaving earlier/later. If we're at the blowhole, there will be the option of both dry routes and ones that end in water if you want to practice something more advanced.
What you need:
- Join the club here if you haven't already: Join the club!
- Practical clothes you don't mind getting dirty.
- Swimmers or thermals to go under a wetsuit and a spare change of clothes if you want to try abseiling into/ascending out of the water.
- Lunch (or money for the local cafe/takeaway options.
- Enclosed footwear with good grip that you don't mind getting wet. There're plenty of rockpools around the bases of even the dry abseils.
- Personal harness/helmet/canyoning gear if you have it; it's always best to practice with the gear that you'll use in canyon.
All abseiling equipment, helmets and a few wetsuits for the adventurous will be provided by the club!
If you have any questions please shoot me a message or text.
Trip Leader: Nicko Hewenn
Contact: Facebook or mobile, 0400642443